Southwestern Skillet Chicken (around 8-10 points for 1 serving)

I tried a new meal last night and it was a HIT! It only took me about 30 minutes and I only used 1 pan! Dang easy and dang good!! :)

You'll need:
1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (11 oz) Green Giant Mexicorn, undrained (whole kernel corn with red and green peppers)
1/3 cup salsa
2 cups hot cooked rice

-Mix chili powder, salt and pepper then sprinkle evenly over both sides of chicken breasts.
-Heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F).
-Stir in beans, corn and salsa. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are hot. Serve with rice. Makes 4 servings.

I make a rice that we love so if you'd like to try it here it is:
In rice cooker:
3 1/2-4 C. Chicken Broth (in place of water)
2 1/2 C. Rice
2 t. garlic salt (sometimes I use 1 T.)
When it's finished cooking, stir in about 2/3 of a can of diced tomatoes.

This rice goes really well with a Mexican/Southwestern meal!

For my meal I did (for 8 points):
1 C. of the black bean/corn/salsa mix-2 pts.
3/4 C. of (my) rice-4 pts.
2 oz. chicken-2 pts. (do more chicken, for more points, if you would like)

My kids LOVED this meal and ate it quickly and quietly!! :) I also doubled the recipe because my kids are BIG EATERS (yes, even though they're girls) and plus, we love left-overs.

5 comments:

Shelise said...

Where in the store do you get the mexi-corn?

Taralee said...

In the section with the canned corn. You should see it right there by the Green Giant canned vegetables. It's a tad smaller than a regular can size.

Emily H. said...

This sounds so good! I'm totally trying this with my family- Thanks!!!

The Foote Family said...

Tara and Shelise and Rhonda--
I hope you are okay that I am checking out your awesome weight watcher ideas blog. I made this recipe last night and it was so good. Tyler loved it. Thanks for posting these great recipe ideas. Yesterday I started salivating while I was reading them! hahaha (That is why you should never read cookbooks or recipe sights when you are super hungry--it's torture! heehee) Anyways, thanks for the great recipe.

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and it was soooo good. I didn't serve anything with it. Just the chicken and corn/bean salsa. Dad loved it!